The Cactus Forum Forum Index The Cactus Forum
Discuss all cactus topics: Cactus care, identifying your cactus, cactus stories, share your cactus photos, etc. Thank you in advance for being courteous and friendly to all!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NOTE: If you are signing up for the forum, please be thorough with filling out your profile to show you are a real human being. Thanks!
Those who are accepted have 48 hours to make their first post, or your profile will be deleted. These measures are to fight spam. -Cactus Lovers Management

02/29/09 TCSS Cactus Rescue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cactus Forum Forum Index -> Arizona Hikes & Scenery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: 02/29/09 TCSS Cactus Rescue Reply with quote

After a bit of a lag, the TCSS Rescues are rolling again! Typically, I rarely show fellow rescuers. I think they deserve a hand after working these rock infested hills. Work was slow and each cactus was a battle royale, but we filled the trailer up! It's rare to be at a rescue where a shovel is totally useless, and the proper tools are a pick and a bar.

The corporate entity which shall remain nameless, that is kind enough to let us hit the area before the bulldozers requested us in protective equipment.

The hillsides were rough and rock strewn.

Still a morning of fun and doing what one loves is never a bad thing.

The Tagging Table.

Tagged and ready for an upcoming sale.
LeeBeth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have loved to join in myself, probably could dig the smaller ones. Do the rescuers also help with the sale of the cacti? It would be good way to get their yards beautified, too. Can any of the larger saguaro be dug, or are their roots too deep? One thing about cacti, they only have a few roots.

LeeBeth
Joel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the sales are all manned by volunteers, the TCSS in non-profit and I don't think a single soul is on the payroll. We try to encourage others to give up on grass lawns. Just imagine, desert plants growing in the desert. Crazy idea I know. Very Happy
You really don't want to ever dig a saguaro over six feet. They weigh way too much to deal with. The six footers are murder, but three or four strong people can just barely manage to deal with it. Anything larger and you'd want a crane of sorts.
The saguaro does have a tap root in its center that runs deep. You don't want to break during its rescue. The side roots will grow out just fine. You have to remember that the saguaros weigh a lot and have many roots to grab the water and to hold and anchor them in during heavy weather.
LeeBeth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to grow desert plants in the yard, besides their natural beauty there would be no lawn to mow. Smile

Saguaros are so unique to small area in the Southwest, would think everyone in areas where they grow would want one in their yards.

LeeBeth
Joel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So one would think! Still a lot of grass yards.
Kei

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome photos Joel! Looks like a lot of fun! Do you plant any of the cacti into your own yard from these rescues?

-Kei
Joel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's very crowded now and it's a small yard. I usually give everything to the TCSS or other rescuers that I dig. I need to wait until I find a special one before I bring it home. The neighbors get all bent out of shape if I try to desertize their yards.
toni07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, no surprises out there? What are the pink flowers? wildflowers? They look like dandilion, the make a wish flowers. Did you make any wishes? I see the protective gloves and hard hats. So do the saguaro's fall over like trees when you dig them up so you would need a hard hat?
even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the LORD! Habakkuk 3:17
Joel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pink flowers are the Desert Fairy Duster (Calliandra eriophylla). Native plant.

We usually wear gloves. The cactus aren't kind even to rescuers. Very Happy The hard hats are a requirement of the site owners. Not a big deal really. We try not to let the saguaros fall. It would break spines and possibly injure it.
Kei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
Yes, it's very crowded now and it's a small yard. I usually give everything to the TCSS or other rescuers that I dig. I need to wait until I find a special one before I bring it home. The neighbors get all bent out of shape if I try to desertize their yards.

Wow Joel, I'd like to see an entire shot of your yard, I bet it is full of cacti Very Happy

-Kei
Joel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That it is. I'll try to post one someday! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cactus Forum Forum Index -> Arizona Hikes & Scenery All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: