The Cactus Forum Forum Index The Cactus Forum
Discuss all cactus topics: Cactus care, identifying your cactus, cactus stories, share your cactus photos, etc. Thank you in advance for being courteous and friendly to all!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NOTE: If you are signing up for the forum, please be thorough with filling out your profile to show you are a real human being. Thanks!
Those who are accepted have 48 hours to make their first post, or your profile will be deleted. These measures are to fight spam. -Cactus Lovers Management

Wandering Through the Weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cactus Forum Forum Index -> Arizona Hikes & Scenery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Wandering Through the Weekend Reply with quote

After the Rescue on Saturday, I went out into the Ironwood National Forest. I do love that place, it has a raw charm to it.

I played cat and mouse with a few red tailed hawks.

A hawk's nest in a saguaro.

The beauty of a crested saguaro. I ran across three of them.

I think it warmed up too fast for the wildflowers. Not many blooms and they seem to be withering away before they have had their chance to explode.

The Echinocereus are teasing me. Those buds are still unopened.

The desert floor as always is a place of enjoyment and beauty for me. The hills and mountains just add to the beauty.

Unfortunately, we do have our share of the mindless out here.

The Creosote is in bloom. I can't wait for the summer rains to enjoy the smells of it.

As always, keep your eyes open. You never know who or what is nearby.

I was finally able to get that shot that I wanted.
Patrick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, awesome petroglyphs Joel!
And quite a few crested Saguaros there, very impressive!

Yes, Ironwood Forest is already on the list for next time! Very Happy
How long does it take to get there ?

Thanks for posting these!
LeeBeth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got some time to hike and get some photos, enjoyed the plains and mountains, the hawk was awesome, also the nest in the saguaro.

Wonder what causes the crested saguaro, I have noticed that they seem to grow alot of arms if have been injured.

LeeBeth
Joel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ironwood National Forest is about a 20 minute drive to the NW from Saguaro National in the Tucson Mountains. It's much larger and has various grades of dirt roads for passage. There are a few that aren't too bad to drive down in a car. I'm really enchanted by this area. Nature, history, solitude and views that are incredible are all out there.
No one's sure about the cresting effect. Some argue that it might be genetic others blame the weather and elements. We just don't have a clue at present time.
The ones many arms are a complete mystery as well. You'll find one with 20 arms and one twenty feet away of equal size only has one or two. Cactus can be real head scratchers. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cactus Forum Forum Index -> Arizona Hikes & Scenery All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: