The Cactus Forum Forum Index The Cactus Forum
Discuss all cactus topics: Cactus care, identifying your cactus, cactus stories, share your cactus photos, etc. Thank you in advance for being courteous and friendly to all!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NOTE: If you are signing up for the forum, please be thorough with filling out your profile to show you are a real human being. Thanks!
Those who are accepted have 48 hours to make their first post, or your profile will be deleted. These measures are to fight spam. -Cactus Lovers Management

West of Tucson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cactus Forum Forum Index -> Arizona Hikes & Scenery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: West of Tucson Reply with quote

Patrick and Michelle are in Tucson. I'll let them describe their adventures! Very Happy
Patrick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the intro Joel! Very Happy
And thanks again for another great afternoon!

Not having a laptop, we had to wait our return home to post a little testimony of an absolutely great week spent in Tucson hiking all around the city limits.
And what a busy week it was! Laughing
The weather was drop dead gorgeous and the temps were just what we were looking for to get away from our winter deep freeze.

We were here from Feb. 19 until Feb. 27 which gave us 7 wonderful days.

On Feb. 20th we went to do the RingTail loop trail off of Picture Rocks Road in the Saguaro National Park West:

On Saturday we went with Joel to the same park, but in the southern part to walk on the King Canyon trail:
We saw some petroglyphs thanks to Joel having pointing them out for us.

Here's Joel with Michele looking at some rock formations.

There are some very interesting rock formations in there to be seen.

Sunday Feb. 22 saw us hiking the Pink Hill - Cactus Forest - Shantz trails to form a small loop.
The height of Pink Hill gives some very nice 360* views of the Saguaro National Park East with the Rincons in the back:

I just love those dark spined Echinos:

On top of Pink Hill

A lot of Echinocereii were making buds too:

A barrel cactus getting ready to let the Saguaro take its place:

Mammilarias were also abundant:

On Monday we went to the Sabino Canyon Recreation area to hike the canyon trail after having been driven to the trailhead by one of their shuttles:

The day was cloudier, but that was alright because it was a tougher trail for us:

We went through a pass which gave us some more beautiful views of the canyon:

We stopped for a food break on the rock formation you see on the right side (picture below).
After having done so, Michele was just looking non-challantly below and saw something big and butterscotch in color moving...
There have been mountain lion sightings in the area and we had been warned of what to do.
It may not have seen us, but it probably got a small wiff of our sandwiches from below.
Of course, I wanted to double check and confirm what she saw, but Michele knew what she saw...
So we didn't stick around! Shocked

Coming back around, we had nice views of the trailhead and the canyon:

We walked down to the Sabino creek on a very short trail:

The water was cold and very refreshing for my hot feet! Very Happy

The creek overflowed over 2 of the bridges on our way back.
It was interesting to see Saguaros looming above a creek and a small beach:

There's a small desert discovery trail at the visitors center with a major crested saguaro in it:

On Tuesday we decided to go to Pima Canyon and hike that trail.
That was our toughest day.
Although we didn't make it to the dam, we were probably close which probably made for a good 6 mile hike.

We had some majestic views of the canyon walls.
The trail was sometimes difficult to maneuver and sometimes a little tough to follow.

This is as far as we got.

Crossing the Pima canyon creek bed several times, the vegetation was suprisingly lush at times.

That was the only day we emptied our water supply just before finishing the trail.

Wednesday saw us going up the Pontatoc ridge trail.
It was slightly cooler too which was ok because we were still a little tired from yesterday.
We'll be back here for sure: a) to complete the ridge trail and b) to try the Finger Rock trail which is the same trail head.

Peering towards the Pontatoc canyon we decided to do the ridge trail instead to get some views of Tucson.

The urban sprawl is obvious here.
This shows that we weren't too far up the ridge also:

And the day finished off like many, i.e. with a great sunset behind our hotel:

On Thursday, our last full day, we returned to do another trail off Picture Rocks Road. We started off on the Ironwood forest trail.

We got some pretty cool desert floor views on that day.

We completed the day by returning to Bach's Cacti nursery on Thornydale Rd just north of Cortaro Farms Rd.
What a great place to shop for cacti! Very Happy
I bought 2 (Peniocereus gregii and Stenocereus eruca) and got a small Echino free!
They have a greenhouse which displays many types of pincushion cacti which was just out of this world...

And for those who may not see this very often, our last morning gave us some blissful vistas of the Catalina mountains.

Oh, we'll be back...there are so many trails that haven't been hiked by our feet yet!
Hasta la vista Tucson!
Joel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was great seeing you and Michele again! Sorry that I couldn't spend more time with you! Work is such a pain somedays! Looks like you had a fantastic time out in the hills. Did you ever get to the pottery shops on 4th Avenue?
Patrick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No we didn't go there, but we plan to on our next visit.
We got a pamphlet from our hotel with a web site adress to check out, so we'll see it that way for now.
I figured that the week was worth being enjoyed in the outdoors instead of trying to find parking in a city center...

But we got a glimpse of downtown when we followed you for a few minutes.
It looks very nice, so that'll be part of the visit next time for sure.
The directions you gave us worked No.1 and it made us see parts of Tucson we hadn't seen yet!

Oh and the cacti made it home safely by the way...which reminds me that I have to take a picture of them to post here.

Very Happy
Kei

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looked like an awesome visit Patrick! Having Joel to point things out must have been awesome, and those views in the desert look absolutely breathtaking. The little cactus shop looks really neat, you should post a couple shots of your purchases along with the little free echino!

-Kei
Patrick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kei!

Yes it was absolutely awesome! Very Happy
I HIGHLY recommend it!

Joel is a great guy to have as a tour guide and quite knowledgeable of the history of the area too! Smile

I will take pictures of my new found friends as soon as I can this week and show them off here.
I'm back to my regular busy schedule here so it takes a bit longer to do things like that... Rolling Eyes

I'll get some more cacti pictures from our trip and I'll post them in the Other Cactus topics section.
God knows I have more than enough to go around... Laughing
Steve
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO NICE! Smile
LeeBeth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed traveling (via the computer) along with youall on the trails, great pics of the mountains and cacti. Very Happy

LeeBeth
Patrick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

I'll try to post a few more that didn't make it in the my first round up, but that could have been there just as well.

It was quite a memorable trip indeed (as was the one 2 years before that), but I don't want to post all 800 pictures.... Laughing
Joel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post away please! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cactus Forum Forum Index -> Arizona Hikes & Scenery All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: